Discussions

Displaying posts 1 - 1 out of 1.
  • Hello Msida Red Stars AFC:))

I was given this recipe by my dear friend Linda Speight and I hope you find this helpful…its a recipe from a book about Middle Eastern Cooking by Claudia Roden

t

8 oz ground almonds
    1 and a half pints of water
    1kg sugar
    2 tablespoons orange blossom water
    A few apricot kernels (shelled) ground up and mixed with the ground almonds

Put the ground almonds in a thin muslin bag and tie it at the top leaving a lot of free space inside for the ground almonds to move freely
    Soak the ground almonds in the water in a large bowl for about an hour, rubbing, squeezing and shaking the muslin with both hands at intervals. Allow the water to penetrate the almonds and soak them, then squeeze it out again, taking with it the milk of the almonds (beautifully white and fragrant – that's what she said).

When you feel that the almonds have given out as much 'milk' as possible, squeeze them dry. Pour the almond milk into a saucepan, add the sugar and bring to the boil slowly, stirring util the sugar has dissolved. Use 1kg sugar at least if the syrup is being made to last. Simmer gently until the syrup thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
    Two minutes before removing the pan from the heat, perfume the syrup with orange blossoms water. Allow to cool and pour into clean, dry bottles and close

Posted on 15:57 on 29 September