Rock cakes by Sandra Micallef
Ingredients:Rock cakes 1
- 8oz (225g) self raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 4oz (110g) margarine
- 2oz (55g) demerara sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 4oz (110g) mixed dried fruit
- 1 tsp egg replacer (optional)
- 3 tbsp soya milk
Rock cakes 2
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
Method:Rock cakes 1
1) Put/sieve flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl.
2) Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and fruit.
3) Add milk and egg replacer, and form a rough dough.
4) Heap into rough mounds on a greased baking tray and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
5)Cook for about 15 minutes at 190ºC/375ºF until cooked.
6) Cool on a wire wrack, and enjoy with a nice cup of tea
Rock cakes 2
1) 1/2 cup sultanas, raisins, or currants, or any mix of (pre-soak, or cover with boiling water and let stand) 1/2 cup canned pineapple pieces, drained
2) 1/4 cup sunflower oil 5 tablespoons soymilk (or rice milk)
3) Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 190°C fanforced / 400°F.
4) Lightly oil a large baking tray.
5) Sift together flour and baking powder, and spices. Stir in sugar and lemon rind.
6) Add drained sultanas and pineapple.
7) Mix the oil and milk and stir into the mixture, to make a dough which just binds together. (less liquid than if making a cake batter).
8) Spoon onto rocky heaps on the greased baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.