BORMLA CULTUREFEST Festivals – People – Past and Present


People – Past and Present

Cospicua has been inhabited since Neolithic times. Prior to the 18th century it was known as Bormla, a name which is still in use. Its lines bastions, constructed to protect the town and its neighbours Birgu and Isla, were built by the Knights of Malta. Construction began in 1638 but was not completed for another 70 years. In 1722, Grand Master Marc’Antonio Zondadari declared Bormla a city and in view of its strong bastions named it Città Cospicua

 

The people of Cospicua started the famous and artistic first ‘Mejda ta’ L-Appostli’, which literally means, the table of the Apostles. It consists of a display showing the food that was eaten during the Last Supper of Jesus and the 12 Apostles. It also consists of different stories of the Bible, made with coloured rice and salt, on plates (these are done separately)

Venue : Bormla
Contact : Bormla Local Council
Email : bormla.lc@gov.mt